Monday 7 February 2011

"England and America are two countries separated by a common language "

So maybe George Bernard Shaw knew what he was talking about when he said that. Even today there are times when I look confused when someone asks me to "give it a bash" or someone else looks confused when I ask for fries (chips over here) with my burger. It amazes me how much we've changed directions with the English language since the 18th century in America.

There are so many different words and phrases that are used in the UK that I have compiled a fairly long list of them. I plan on sharing them throughout my posts, but I'll give you a good list of them now to go away with and feel a little more experienced in what words mean what.


American

British

Thanks

Ta, Cheers

Ornery

Cheeky

Isn't it?

Innit?

TV, Television

Telly

Disappointed

Gutted

Cash Register

Till

ATM

Cashpoint

Fries

Chips

Chips

Crisps

Jello

Jelly

Jelly

Jam

Restroom

Loo

Pants

Trousers

Underwear

Knickers, Pants

Friend

Mate

Great

Brilliant

Good Looking

Fit

Car Hood

Bonnet

Car Trunk

Boot

















If you would like me to elaborate on any of these examples or provide you with an example of how these words would be used in every day British, let me know.

As you can see, there are some words that would easily confuse someone if you use any of these words an American context. I constantly call chips fries which will normally get you a strange pause before figuring out what you're talking about or before they say "excuse me?" Just think of it this way.. It's probably hard enough to understand what in the world I'm saying in the first place with my American accent (yes, we all have one, we just don't think of ourselves ever having an accent), not to mention I'm asking for the wrong thing entirely. It's easy to get caught in the trap of thinking that everyone should know what I mean. How hard can it be? Don't you watch TV? You should know what fries are! But, then you realize that you're not in Kansas anymore (to quote probably the worst and most overused joke that people like to state to someone from Kansas; if you don't know what I'm talking about maybe you should google the Wizard of Oz and read up on it..)

Maybe I was a little harsh in the first "official" blog. I didn't mean to discourage you commenting at all. Please do leave a comment, just don't descend into anarchy in the comments. I would really like to hear from you, the readers, as to what you would most like to have discussed. You control the topics, let's remember that. I just write about them. So, right now, you're giving me free reign to write about whatever I want to. This means that I'll be writing about language and geography (since they are favorite subjects of mine) and you won't get as much of the cool stuff or stories. Also, if you have an experience from travelling to the UK that you would like me to integrate into the different topics, feel free to email me (again, at USAmericanintheUK@gmail.com) and I'll be sure to pass your story along and give a link to your blog if you want me to.

I think I've rambled on enough for one post. Hope I actually hear from some of you this time.. or else. (you've been warned)

-An American in the UK


1 comment:

  1. Oh Wean. (I didn't have anything else to say, but wanted you to know I read your blog, I enjoyed it, I miss you, and, as always, you have way too much time on your hands). I could write a blog about a redneck living in Florida and compare my redneckese with their beachese. Much love, brother!

    ReplyDelete